Calabar traders count losses from fire incident

Calabar - Dealers in motor spare parts in Calabar,
are counting their losses from the fire incident in
Bedwell Market, Calabar, which destroyed goods
worth over N200 million.
The traders described the incident as a set-back to
their business.
Anthony Umeojiaku, Chairman, Motor Spare Parts
Dealers Association in Calabar, said that the fire
incident which occurred in Tyre Line section of the
market had rendered the victims helpless.
Umeojiaku who put the total value of the loss at
N200 million, said that the affected members now
depend on contributions from friends and
sympathisers.
According to him, as I am speaking to you now, most
of the victims feed on contributions from people.
Also read: Fire destroys 50 shops in Lagos
"Moreover, we buy these goods from Lagos on
credit and it will now be difficult for us to pay back. I
am afraid that most of our members may not
continue with this business.
"So I call on all well-meaning Nigerians,
organisations and government agencies to come to
our aid,'' he said
The chairman also decried the poor security
arrangement in the market, and said that the traders
had often been robbed without without any security
support.
"There is no streetlight here in Bedwell, and as a
result, we have decided to set up a vigilante
ourselves to secure the area,''
Umeojiaku said.
Another victim, Vincent Okonkwo, said that he was
out of town when the fire incident happened.
"I was in company of my friends in my village when I
received a call that there was a fire outbreak in
Bedwell.
"I left the following day for Calabar, only to find out
that the goods in my shop had all being burnt. I
cannot describe the pains I am going through now,''
he said.
Thanks For You Reading The Post We are very happy for you to come to our site. Our Website Domain name http://gurusfanz.blogspot.com/.
Newer Posts Newer Posts Older Posts Older Posts

Comments

Post a Comment